ArtRage #3 - Painting Patrick and Using Reflected Light and Shadow Colors

Artrage digital painting Patrick video 
 
This is the part in our ArtRage tutorial video series where the paint-y fun starts happening!
 
Artrage digital painting tutorial video Patrick SpongeBob
Click on the image above to watch the ArtRage Video Tutorial

Artrage digital illustration tutorial painting with layers
The line art stays on top so I can always see what I'm doing

Artrage digital painting tutorial layers
I paint the color fills underneath the line art
 
Artrageusing custom palette digital painting tutorial
I use the custom color picker I set up in the last video
 
Artrage paint brush size control digital painting tutorial
You can adjust the brush thickness with this slider size control in the lower left corner of the interface.
 
Artrage digital painting Patrick colors blending video
Once I've applied Patrick's base color paint, I go back in and add a sunlight color on the parts of his body that will be hit by direct sunlight
 
Artrage digital painting Patrick reflective light colors
I add some green tones on the underside of his arms to show the light that's bouncing back up from the grass and from his green trunks.
 
Artrage digital painting Patrick using palette knife
...and I add some purple tones for shadows. (don't laugh at my horrible grammar as I say in the video: "More darker." More darker. Brilliant. I hope Mrs. Cooper - my junior high English teacher - never sees this).
Purple is on the opposite side of the color wheel from the yellow sunlight. When I use the palette knife to "swoosh it all around," the whole thing starts to come alive with dimension and vibrant color!
Artrage digital painting tutorial next video
Next video: Painting Patrick's Pants! See you then!
 
 
Just fire up your Wacom drawing tablet
and have fun! There's no mess!
 
Previous ArtRage Tutorial Videos:
----
You might also want to take a look at the other tutorials in this series:

smaller YouTube version below:

0 comments:

Post a Comment