diy: comic book shoes



Custom Spider-Man Comic book shoes!



When I first heard of comic book shoes I was taken aback!  I would have never thought to do something like that!  And with the upcoming Amazing Spider-Man movie, I thought now was a perfect time to create some of my own.



For as long as I can remember I have been obsessed with Spider-Man.  I am not exactly sure when it began; I have always loved superheros, but I have a soft spot in my heart for Spidey.  It might be because of his quick wit, his endearing awkwardness, or the way he nonchalantly saves babies from burning buildings.


For whatever reason, Spider-Man is the number one superhero in my heart (closely followed by the lusciously bearded Thor and his devious brother Loki).


The process was fairly straight forward, and though time consuming, not hard.  Kelsey was kind enough to help me, and take photos of the process. 


I love the epic fights superheroes tend to have!
UNGH!!



I love this action shot, it fit perfectly on the side of the shoe.



Supplies:

Mod Podge, 
Shoes (smooth so you can glue things to them)
Paintbrush
Comic book (one that you are okay with cutting up)
Scissors 
Newspaper or cardboard (to do your craft on). 

Directions:

1.  Cut out your favourite scenes from your comic book.  Position them where you would like them to go on your shoes, and then cover the back of the picture with Mod Podge.
2.  Paste the comic book clipping onto the shoe, and press it down so it is smooth.
3.  Trim off any excess clipping, or fold it over the edge of the shoe.
4.  Put a layer of Mod Podge over the comic book clipping.
5.  Continue this process until the shoes are completely covered with comic strips.
6.  Once the Mod Podge has dried, apply three more layers (letting each layer dry before starting the next).

Note: This is a time consuming project.  Give yourself at least an hour and a half for each shoe.

[UPDATE]  While these shoes are so much fun to make and wear, I have noticed that they tend to crack, especially if you use a bendy/flexible shoe.  I am trying to find a solution to this, but right now I recommend that you use a lot of mod podge on the outside, and if possible use heels or other stiff shoes.


I will definitely wear these when I see The Amazing Spider-Man this weekend!

ps: jordyn ♥ 

0 comments:

Post a Comment