tasty tuesday : banana mocha muffins



This is one of my go to recipes.  It always turns out, and is very forgiving.  Throw in an extra banana if you want, or use whole wheat flour for a healthy kick!


Don't be afraid to put these three bold flavours together, they complement each other rather than overpower each other.


 When you bite into these muffins there is a symphony of flavours, but also a pleasing crunch!  My secret is sprinkling coarse sugar on top.  It adds a little extra sweetness, and an interesting texture to the muffins.  If you have some coarse sugar on hand DO NOT skip this step!  I promise you will not be disappointed.


I always use my ice cream scoop to get uniform muffins.  This recipe yields about 18 muffins.
Whenever I have bananas that are starting to get ripe I throw them in the freezer.  This makes it convenient to just grab, defrost, and squeeze out.


 Mmmmmmm the coarse sugar looks delicious!

Banana Mocha Muffins

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup softened margarine
  • 1 1/4 cups white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 3 ripe bananas
  • 1 (heaping) tablespoon instant coffee granules
  • 1 tablespoon hot water
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:

  • 1.  In a large bowl, cream together margarine and sugar.
  • 2.  Add egg, and mix well until light and fluffy.
  • 3.  Add bananas and mix well.
  • 4.  Dissolve instant coffee granules in the hot water.
  • 5.  Add coffee mixture and vanilla to your batter, and mix.
  • 6.  Mix in salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
  • 7.  Then add flour and beat until just mixed. (*you don't want to overmix!)
    8.  Finally, stir in chocolate chips.
  • 9.  Bake at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes (or until a toothpick comes out clean).


I really am in love with these muffins, and so are many of my family and friends.  This year I participated in The Run for Water, and did a bake sale to raise money.  These muffins helped me raise $300 for clean water in Ethiopia!

ps: jordyn ♥

0 comments:

Post a Comment