coconut oatmeal chocolate chip cookies


There are some days when any old cookie will satisfy my sweet craving....and then there are some days when any old cookie will definitely not cut it.  

I got hit by a craving for coconut and oatmeal, together, in a cookie, asap.  I knew I wouldn't be satisfied until I bit into a hearty oatmeal cookie, decked out with chocolate chips (duh), and toasted coconut would somehow be involved.  An hour and a half later.... (after much research and deliberation) these babies were born!

The original recipe comes from the most gorgeous food blog ever called krew!melko (which google tells me is blood and milk)...and it just happens to be in polish.  So yeah, some things don't always translate quite right, but I'm in love with it anyways.  I tweaked her recipe a bit, and am so so pleased with the end result.  And my craving was 100% satisfied!


Ugh...the toasted coconut along the edges was absolute perfection.  

Let it be known that it took a lot of restraint not to break off all the crunchy bits from other cookies and eat them... oh dear.

coconut oatmeal chocolate cookies
adapted from: krew!mleko

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter (softened)
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 cups quick cooking oatmeal
1 1/2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional....but not really)

Directions: 
1)  In a large bowl, mix together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2)  Add the egg and vanilla, and mix well.
3)  Slowly add in flour, baking powder, oatmeal and coconut, and beat until thoroughly mixed.  The dough will be super thick and delicious.  
4)  Finally, stir in chocolate chips.
5)  Place dough in balls on a cookie sheet, and lightly press them down to flatten them.
6)  Bake at 350 for 11-12 minutes.  




I loved the crunchiness of the coconut along the edges, the chewiness of the middle, and the fact that they aren't too sweet.  So for those of you who aren't super duper into sweet things, this is the cookie for you!

Next time I'll definitely be adding in some chopped pecans...I think they'd just be the cherry on top of these hearty, delicious cookies!

p.s.   kelsey

0 comments:

Post a Comment